Oct. 22, 2021

CHADDS FORD - Rep. Craig Williams (R-Delaware/Chester) and Sen. John Kane (D- Delaware/Chester) announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved Delaware County for public assistance funding for Chadds Ford Township, residents, businesses and non-profits, like the Brandywine Conservancy, affected by the flooding from the remnants of Hurricane Ida. FEMA typically covers about 75% of losses, but Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) has committed to covering the remaining 25%. To date, $9 million in damages have been reported across Delaware County.

“This has been a long, difficult road for our community, but I want to thank the leadership of Chadds Ford Township, PEMA, FEMA, SBA, and Delaware County EMS for setting up the Disaster Recovery Center in Chadds Ford,” said Williams. “This funding is critical to the recovery of Chadds Ford. I have personally visited every home and business in that section of town several times, along with the appropriate officials. The devastation was real. I am so grateful for this financial assistance.”

“We’re on a long road to full recovery, but this funding is a huge step toward helping the community in Chadds Ford recover,” said Kane. “The damage caused by Hurricane Ida was devastating and real for these families and business owners. I’m grateful to our emergency relief organizations and professionals at the local, state and federal levels for their support and tireless work.” 

Chadds Ford Township Board of Supervisors Chairman Frank G. Murphy was pleased to hear the news. 

“Chadds Ford Township officials would like to thank Rep. Williams, Sen. Kane, and county officials for helping to secure this source of funding for residents and property owners to help recover from the devastation caused by Hurricane Ida. The PA Public Assistance funding is yet another valuable resource to help those affected return to life as it was before the storm. We are hopeful that this will also be an opportunity for the township to be even better going forward.”

“We suffered damage to all 10 of our buildings, including major flooding in our event space and main building. We have been racing against the clock to get our doors back open.” said Virginia Logan, Executive Director of the Brandywine Conservancy & Museum of Art. “Rep. Williams was the first one on the scene and the support only grew from there. We are so grateful to have had so many individuals and organizations come out to help. Delaware County Emergency Services, Chadds Ford Township, PEMA and FEMA have been extremely helpful as we get ready to rebuild. We are listening to their damage mitigation recommendations and working them into our rebuilding plan.” 

Over the coming weeks, staff from PEMA will hold meetings with applicants to thoroughly review all application documentation to assist processing with FEMA. The process is expected to take several weeks, and all reimbursements will be handled electronically.

Representative Craig Williams
160th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives

Media Contact: John Kelemen
RepCraigWilliams.com / Facebook.com/RepCraigWilliams